FOR A HALF-AN-HOUR PROGRAM WE RECOMMEND:
- Our visitors can have the meals of the Astrobistro, have a refreshing drink, or a coffee in the snack bar, or on the terrace in front of it, if the weather is good. There is an excellent view from here over the surrounding area.
- Families with little children can use the play corner indoors, whereas outdoors there is a playground for children under 14.
FOR AN HOUR PROGRAM WE RECOMMEND:
- Reading the information boards near the parking place, visitors can get information about the details of the Planet Tour study trail. On another board they can get interesting information about the use of the land in and aroundRépáshuta, about the ancient crafts, like logging, lime burning and charcoal burning.
- Those who opt for activity can complete a section of the Planet Tour study trail taking them back to the Observatory, along which they can marvel the view of the Zsérc Great-South Mountain Range. Along the walk, they can also see the meadows in Répáshuta, where from spring to autumn they can have an insight into the process of grazing.
- If somebody wants to know more about Répáshuta, it is best to get to the village in a few minutes by car starting for Miskolc. Walking along the streets of the village in the valley, you can see locally characteristic houses, most of which are built of quarry-stone.
FOR AN HOUR-AND-A-HALF PROGRAM WE RECOMMEND:
- Those longing for a hike can get to Répáshuta by car in a few minutes. Driving in the direction of Szabadság út, at the entrance to the Balla-völgy you can park your car. On a short but steep route you can get to the Balla Cave, which is a natural cave above the settlement. The length of the trip is about 1,100 m, to and back, the level difference is about 70 m.
- Those planning a light meal, or just having some refreshment, can visit the catering facilities of the village. TheVadász Restaurant serves one-course meals, on the Vadnyúl Terrace you can order pizzas, but of course you can have refreshing drinks, or ice-cream from the offer, too.
FOR A TWO-HOUR PROGRAM WE RECOMMEND:
- In Répáshuta, on the left of the road leading to the Balla-völgy, you can find a small museum of the village, which you can visit if you make an appointment. Address: Szabadság u 4, Répáshuta, 3559. Access: it is just a few minutes walk from the parking place in front of the Local Government Office. The museum can be visited for free in the opening hours of the office. Visitors can see it from Monday through Thursday, between 8:00 and 16:00, on Friday between 8:00 and 12:00. You can get the key from the Mayor’s Office, and you must return it there. You can read some interesting information about the museum here.
- Those preferring activity can do the whole of the Planet Tour study trail in 2 hours. The trail is 4 km long, and the level difference is almost 200 m. The study trail is rising at the beginning, then on the way back you can walk downwards. The last part before the Observatory is rising again, but it is not as steep as the first section of the trail.
IF YOU WANT TO SPEND MORE TIME IN THE BÜKK MOUNTAINS
- Leaving the Bükk Observatory in the direction of Eger, you can find the Western Gate Visitor Center of the Bükk National Park Directorate in a half an hour drive. At the presentation place on the bank of the lake in Felsőtárkány, and in the forest school, families, primary and secondary school students can observe the flora and fauna of the Bükk National Park in a playful and enjoyable way, connected with some gain of knowledge, and also they can learn about the geological formation of the mountains. The time of the nature studies module and the exhibition is 2 hours.
- Also in a half an hour drive from the Observatory, but in the direction of Miskolc, you can get to the special lime travertine caves of the BNPD in Lillafüred, which provide a pleasant stay in every season. If you do not only want to observe the stars, you might be interested in the underground world, as well, then visit the Szent István Cave and the Anna Cave. You get to know the origin and the importance of the springs with crystal clear water. You can marvel the rare natural treasures of the depth of the mountains, you can explore the hidden wildlife of the caves. And of course, it will turn out why bats are so useful animals, and why the air in the caves is so clear and healthy.
ACCOMODATION OFFERS NEAR THE BÜKK OBSERVATORY:
Borostyán Guest House, in the direct vicinity of Répáshuta
Geopark Pansion, Bükkszentkereszt
Répáshuta Guest House, Répáshuta
Rejtek Research House, 6 km away from Répáshuta
Bábakalács Forest School, Felsőtárkány
OUR STUDY TRAILS IN THE BÜKK MOUNTAINS:
- If you booked accommodation in Eger, you can get informed about the programs in the town here.
- If you booked accommodation in Miskolc, the programs of the town are available here.